Friday, May 9, 2008

Kolzig A Fit For The Senators?


The veteran goalie didn't react favourably when he was replaced by Cristobal Huet at the trade deadline and even went so far as to remove his nameplate from his locker stall and skip the final team meeting of the year. The Washington Post finally caught up to Kolzig to get his take on the strange events:


"When you're down three games to one in the playoffs, I felt like it was an opportunity for me to get in there with the experience I have," said Kolzig, who is tied for 22nd on the NHL's career victories list with 301. "Our backs were against the wall, but it didn't happen. I said to myself: 'My time here in Washington has passed. They've chosen to go in a different direction, and this was the exclamation point on it.' "

After the Game 7 loss in Washington, Kolzig removed his nameplate from his locker stall and skipped a team meeting the following morning. He said he plans to frame the nameplate with a jersey.

"In my mind, there wasn't anything hateful," Kolzig said of removing his nameplate. "I wasn't there for the meeting because I didn't want to have to face the media. I wanted to avoid [reporters] as long as I could. It got blown out of proportion. "

- Washington Post

Kolzig says he wants to go to a contender or he'll retire. Could he be a fit with the Senators? Time has eroded his skills and confidence but he's probably no worse an option than Martin Gerber. Here are their respective playoff stats:


Gerber: 12 GP, 1 Win, 5 Losses, 3.50 GAA, .890 Save Percentage

Kolzig: 45 GP, 20 Wins, 24 Losses, 2.14 GAA, .927 Save Percentage

Stats aren't everything but Kolzig should warrant at least a look from Murray.
.
Other sources have Jose Theodore going to Ottawa.

No comments: