Here's another batch of brain damaged quotes from hockey's best and brightest. Be sure to check out past editions of Classic Quotes by clicking the tag underneath the post.
“Boy, that was a great game tonight, fellas.”
- Excitedly said by a Flyers fan who was the occupant of a car that Philadelphia Flyers Sean Burke and Branko Radivojevic rammed into after leaving their hard fought game in 2004. No one was injured.
“Just charge me with the usual.”
- Bob Probert to the police (according to the report ) after crashing his motorcycle into another car earlier on in his career. His alchohol level was three times the legal limit.
“We get nose jobs all the time in the NHL, and we don’t even have to go to the hospital.”
- Brad Park, legendary defenseman for the Rangers, Bruins and Red Wings during the tough days of the 70’s and early 80’s.
“It must be the body. It’s chiseled out of marshmallows.”
- Tony Amonte talks about his uncanny ability to remain injury free during his reign with the Chicago Blackhawks in the 90’s.
"Sinden! There's a bus leaving for Oklahoma at six a.m. Be under it!"
-A fan heckling first year Boston coach Harry Sinden in 1966 at the Boston Garden.
“I find it. I find his skin. At first, I passed by it because I didn’t know it was one of ours. But then I go back.”
-Sergei Fedorov talking about finding a chunk of Detroit teammate Darren McCarty’s forehead on the ice after McCarty was cut by a St. Louis players skate. Fedorov and Brendan Shanahan gingerly picked up the skin with their stick blades and gave it back to McCarty who required 40 stitches to put it back on his dome.
“I’m going to look for opportunities to grab the puck by the hair and try to do something with it. I mean, it’s not like I have to save the whole country with it, I just have to put it in the net."
- Sergei Fedorov in 1998.
"This could be the year the Toronto Maple Leafs win the Stanley Cup. I still can’t shake the thought of seeing Leafs captain Mats Sundin riding down Yonge Street in the back of a convertible during a Cup parade, just like George Armstrong did in 1967. Pat Quinn chomping on a victory cigar. Tie Domi, the little goon who could, doing a back flip with a half-pike off the CN Tower and gently landing on his feet padded by a lifetime contract with the organization, like the one Darryl Sittler has."
- Mike Brophy of the Hockey News goes gaga over the Leafs in the March 14, 2003 issue. The Leafs lost in the first round to Philadelphia shortly after.
“I don’t give a shit about the Toronto Maple Leafs.”
-Bobby Clarke, then general manager of the Philadelphia Flyers, in response to Maple Leaf GM Pat Quinn complaining that Clarke was in breach of good business manners because he refused to trade Eric Lindros to the Leafs during the 2001 season.
"I believe everyone was put on earth for a purpose. Mine was to sell newspapers."
– Eric Lindros to reporters in 1992. Time would prove him correct.
“I want to thank all you fans who have stuck around. It is like Novocaine on ice.”
- Chicago radio announcer Darryl Reay after the lowly Hawks lost 4-0 to the Dallas Stars during the 2003-04 season.
- Neil Smith, then GM of the Rangers, yells at a drunken Philadelphia fan who kept taunting Smith with chants of “1940!” in the hallways near the Philadelphia pressbox in 1993. 1940 was the last year the Rangers won the Cup until winning in 1994.